Sunday, August 16, 2026

Dining Room Makeover Part 1

I have been wanting to put a window bench in the bay window of my dining room for a while now, but I promised myself that I would finish my last list of projects before adding to it. I, of course, asked ChatGPT to show me what it would look like. Looking past the oddly-placed bookshelves, I was convinced. 

I started this project like my others- shopping around thrift stores and Facebook marketplace. I wasn't successful at the thrift stores, but I did find this $20 desk.


I was excited enough about the desk, but then found a cabinet the exact size I needed on Facebook marketplace. Of course, I made Aaron pick it up (as I do the majority of my marketplace finds). It fit in our van perfectly. People are always surprised by what we can haul in that thing. 


I did have to cut the back corners out, which somehow I didn't mess up. From there, I just added a base with 2x4's so it would be the right height for sitting, anchored everything to the wall, and used 1x4's as the seat. 

I am so proud of how this turned out. It is perfect to hold textbooks and backpacks, and it is right where we do school. Plus, I have one less place to sweep. 

Dining Room to do list:

  1. cabinet doors (patiently shopping the thrift stores for these)
  2. cafe curtains
  3. less-bulky table and chairs 
  4. paint the desk (no idea the color yet!) 

No comments:

Post a Comment